Monday, July 31, 2006

July 28-29, 2006: From the Temple of Justice to the Fortress of Solitude

Our last week in Olympia began with a party, our first and last in the little stucco house on Bigelow Street. The weekend was hot and dry, and a pair of trees down the street framed the Lakefair fireworks like a proscenium. They weren't so impressive as all that - or perhaps I'm jaded after NYC - but it seemed a bit like they were sending us off. Unfortunately, I didn't get any pictures. So above you see me in the new glasses Carrie found for me at the Goodwill. They look just like Opu's. And the coke-bottle lenses are quite appropriate, if only metaphorically.
I was up all night Thursday finishing my last opinion for Justice Sanders, who pronounced it "pretty good." From him, that's high praise, and much appreciated. And it was a relief to know I left him all caught up. The judge's comments are often spare, but always incisive. Looking back over what I wrote for him this year, I was pleasantly surprised to realize how much better I've gotten. On Friday, Justice Sanders took the office out to lunch, then Sylvia organized coffee and cake in the afternoon, where I took some pictures. Here you see Justice Sanders in the middle and my co-clerk Marcin Grabowski on the left.
And here you see Sylvia Campbell, Justice Sanders's administrative assistance and my savior. My absent-mindedness is legendary, at least among those obliged to put up with it (ask Carrie and my brother). And Sylvia ensured I could focus on the things I actually do reasonably well (i.e. research & writing) without stepping on any landmines. Beatification seems quite appropriate. The miracle: no irremediable catastrophes.
Luckily, we landed some excellent interns this year, starting with Troy, then Kurt, and finally Wesley Hottot, whom who see above. Wesley's a UW law student. But he's originally from VA, where he worked on the VA Film Festival the year I attended. Somehow, I suspect I met him at the party at the vast old plantation house on the mountain. But I can't be sure. In any case, I only got to work with Wesley for about a month. But it was a true pleasure, as he really cares about the cases and what they stand for, and made sure even every motion to modify was just right.
Some of the other clerks have already left, but many of those still remaining were able to attend. I didn't get a picture until the end of the party. Here you see Jessica Fogel, Grace, and Jessica from the left, and Wesley and Marcin from the right. And I close with a snapshot of Justice Sanders. Goodbye Temple of Justice. I should have cried, wanted to salute, and just walked away smiling Friday afternoon, leaving the walnut, marble, and mountains of papers behind. I miss Olympia already. And somehow I suspect I'll see it again someday. On to Alaska. Another state, another judge.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Good luck in Alaska, Brian! (Holy crap, Fairbanks?) --C. Chase