Monday, December 31, 2007

Relationships in a Paragraph

A wonderful challenge.  Reminds me of Felix Feneon's Novels in Three Lines.  My contributions follow:
  1. We played tennis on a warm, dry afternoon. I missed every volley I returned. She gracefully conceded defeat and left with a wry smile.
  2. She polished her blood-red boots with particular care. She didn't polish much else. Sometimes there really is nothing to say. But she said it so eloquently.
  3. A drowsy turtle is a dilemma. To tap or not to tap? I did a bit of both. The turtle eventually arrived, but the hare was long gone.
  4. The stars perform in the windshield and demand the same in return.  Our absent-minded kisses soon became inadequate. But she was a far more diligent performer than I.
  5. At the time, I never wondered why she laughed. She smiled when I touched her, over and over. She smiled when she drew the line. And she smiled when I brought her roses. She knew they were wilted, even if I didn't.
  6. Many are born administrators. Only a few realize it. She knew how to do things properly and gave careful instructions. There's no use pretending you can train the untrainable.
  7. Wild-eyed, I followed her home. So ripe, so wrong. An open secret: the hypnotized always act on their desires.
  8. She watched me laughingly in class, and I performed for her. I loved her best when she was gone, and I suspect she agreed. Exasperated, she dropped me once and then again. There won't be a third time.
  9. As a writer, she found the film academic. As a writer, she found the article dull. As a writer, she didn't much care for him. As a writer, I was done writing.
  10. Elegantly, she brushed out her hair. Daintily, she picked though her salad. Discreetly, she signaled her boredom. Quietly, I walked away.
Suggested by The Sheila Variations via From the Archives.

3 comments:

Ms. Coppens said...

I just fell in love with you for a second.

Brianlfrye said...

O I think you've done me one better.

carry said...

1. Pas de deux. Las danse ombres.

2. Work will set you free they must have remembered that from the gates

3. He cooked lamb succulent & sweet, seperate dishes for the olives, a seperate tray for the oysters, a seperate dish for the cheese, cheap wine: a logical formula for love.

4.The stars perform in the windshield and demand the same in return: David's twinkled only for him.

5. He spoke only in red pen leaving the word IF, fragments were the only sentances allowed to be spoken.

6. Some are born vain. He loved his reflection. There was no use rippling the water.

7. The season for peaches is rotten by November still he lusted to consume fresh rotting flesh. A pallet designated to the weak.

8. A pocket for the time, a pocket for his phone, a pocket for his money, a pocket for his mom, a secret pocket for his home.

9. As an artist he had no orginal idea, as an artist his only talent was to make fun, as an artist I stopped watching.

10. Guilt can only hold the hand of lies. The salad was not lying. He clentched his palms.