Wednesday, September 10, 2008

The Hand Formula

I have (finally) capitulated to pop.  For the last several weeks, I've thrown my hat in the ring at Song Fight!, where a congeries of artists and dabblers musically interpret a new phrase every week.  So far, I've reacted to:  A Problem of Perspective, All We Could See at the Window, Calico Alley, Cryptic Comment, In the Valley, Mediocre Savior, and Interesting Times, not necessarily in that order.  They're all archived here.  I've dubbed my (one-man) band The Hand Formula, after Judge Learned Hand's famous formula (B=PL), which proposes that a person is negligent if their investment in the avoidance of harm (B) is less than the product of the probability (P) and magnitude (L) of the harm that person caused.  Here's hoping I don't fail the test!  I've adopted my own rule as well - nothing but toy instruments.  Disclaimer: lyrics do not necessarily represent the beliefs of management.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

As someone who's been listening to songfight since 2000 and participating since 2004, I'd like to share an opinion: The Hand Formula is one of the most compelling and refreshingly original acts to hit that stage in a long time. So congratulations on your awesomeness.

Also, you should make rad Hand Formula shirts. I'd want one.

Finally, I find myself surrounded by toy instruments as well. If you ever want to round a track out with additional toys, drop me a line, eh?

- reve mosquito

Brianlfrye said...

Thanks! The (excessive!) praise is especially flattering, coming from my favorite songfighter! As soon as I get around to t-shirts, you can bet I'll send one your way. Additional instrumentation would be excellent. Especially because you'll probably be in tune & on beat, unlike me. I'll just have to get around to writing the song more than 6 hours before the fight ends...