Friday, January 20, 2006

Look Around You!

Look_around_youOk, so, I haven't owned a television set in about 5 years now.  Only because I've been spending my money on other things.  And I'm kinda too busy for TV anyway.  Usually, I don't miss it.  But every once in awhile, I realize that there's some good - no, fantastic - stuff on the tube.  And I do believe that the BBC's Look Around You is among the greatest television shows.  Ever.  Essentially, each episode is a mock-A/V film, starting with an echt-vintage PC getting programmed: "10 Print "Look Around You / 20 Goto 10."  Then proceeding to an banal yet enigmatic intro in which the announcer assumes you've identified a totally unpredictable subject.  The "science" is ludicrously erroneous, and the "experimental method" of the please, please, please don't try this at home variety.  If they were to make this states-side, it'd be a lawsuit, for sure.  Somehow, I suspect that "Dimwit should have learnt that wasn't so in 2nd grade" wouldn't qualify for summary judgment...  Anyway, if you like Thad Povey or Craig Baldwin, you're bound to love this series...

No comments: