Monday, January 02, 2006

Monday, September 5, 2005: Searching for the Mima Mounds, Finding Something Better

Ok, so this really starts on Saturday. I went to a barbecue at Grace's house (one my co-clerks), down Capitol Way. She's actually from Olympia, and is living with her parents. Her fiance (Patrick) was there from Gonzaga Law, and quite a few friends. He was a good cook, and I had a brat & several beers. After the BBQ, we all went to the Spar (bad jazz drove us out quick) and then to the Brotherhood. After a good deal of bar shuffleboard, and another couple of beers, everyone else took off. Not yet tired, I went back to the Voyeur for another beer. No one I knew was there, so I sat at the bar. About five minutes later, a really beautiful girl sat down next to me and struck up a conversation. Name's Carrie Deming. We hit it off quite nicely (she's a font of intriguing stories, none of which I'm at liberty to recount). The next day I took her out for lunch. First Thai in Olympia, and not half bad.



Img_0257



So then on Sunday, she called at noon, and we decided to go see the "Mima Mounds." Apparently these are very regularly spaced bumps in the ground, just south of Olympia, of uncertain origin, and about the size of cars. We agreed that the "giant gopher" theory was far and away the most plausible. Here, Carrie is pictured sitting on the steps of the Washington Mutual down the street from my house, while I used the ATM. We drove around for quite some time, but never really did find the Mima mounds. I really don't care, especially because I got a raincheck.



Img_0261



After confirming our failure to find the mounds, we settled on dinner as the only viable alternative. First choice, The Royal Club (Indian, Italian, Chinese, American, Mexican & something else) was (long since) closed. So we went to another Indian place. Which was very good. Carrie had "peas & cheese," apparently her standard. I'm of the same mind, but haven't settled on one yet. Here, she's pictured avoiding looking into the camera. A favorite tactic of hers.  And one I find quite charming. She came over and we watched movies. Including *both* The Wonder Ring and Gnir Rednow. She thought the latter was better, and for all the right reasons. End of story.

No comments: