Monday, January 02, 2006

Saturday, September 10, 2005: Light Fingers & Sex in the Middle

Img_0340_2

Spent a quiet Friday night working on the movie. And not getting very far. So Saturday is reserved for less onerous forms of entertainment. This morning Carrie examined my apartment. And discovered that the large cabinets by the door inexplicably open out to the hall. Here she demonstrates advanced burgling technique.

Img_0341

Burgling in progress...

Img_0343_1

Caught in the act...

Img_0345

And apprehended!

Img_0349

So anyway, now that I've got a car for the first time in 12 years, I feel obliged to use it. So Carrie and I decided to visit a few of her favorite junk/antique (the term is always a question of perspective) stores in the area. We decided that rationing them was prudent, as the number worth visiting is limited... Here's Carrie en route, waiting for me at the bank again. Note Jamie's handbag to her right. It got an enthusiastic thumbs-up, as I'd hoped.

Img_0357

Here you see Carrie in the parking lot of the Second Hand Rose, a really first-rate store near Yelm. She got a great composited postcard of a drawing of a man passing through rings of knives with a Chinese man's face printed in, and his name printed below. Hard to date (at least for me) but really odd and beautiful.

Img_0355

I tried to photograph the postcard here, but got something - um - “impressionistic.” Oh well. They also had a great *old* Sinclair computer for $50. Which I was sorely tempted to buy. And didn't. I may have another chance, and in the course of a spirited conversation with the lady at the register (which netted her a nice discount, too) Carrie made an appointment to return for an appraisal of some old costume jewelry inherited from her grandmother.

Img_0351

We also visited one of several antique malls in Olympia, where I got a book of newspaper etchings illustrating the Civil War, with commentary. Here you see one of the stalls. Lots of nice stuff, but no good movie equipment or film, unfortunately. Carrie says they often get nice old designer clothes here. But no dice today. She says not to buy if you've got any doubts in the store. Good advice, that. Which I don't always follow, to my misfortune...

Img_0360

Carrie had to work at 8, so she took off after dinner. And I went to go see Bridget's band “Sex in the Middle” (I think!) play its last show, after the departure of a key member. They were playing at Yes Yes, the only currently active all-ages venue in town. Here's Bridget and Bryan Connolly, just before the show. Bridget was third. So I read the new issue of Reason while listening to the first two. That included a pretty iffy joke band called “The Cool Guys” and a hip-hop group called the Everyday Saints (I think). They were pretty good. Though I'm hardly qualified to judge. That's when I learned the show was a benefit for Olympia Free Radio, as the lead rapper fellow talked about the station a lot.

Img_0373

Then Bridget came on. I'll spare you most of the photos, which didn't really come out (cheap flash, I guess). But here she is after the show, packing up the drumkit. They were really funny, doing a skit as much as playing a set. They pretended to be secretaries laid off from a defunct law firm run by skeezy lechers. Complete with props, including a table with a cup-tree and joke coffee cups. Bridget baked a “sex” cake with pink frosting. Purported tinted by menstrual blood. Um.

Img_0375

So, after the show, I rode over to Carrie's work to say hello and have a drink. She's a bar-back at The Mark, a swanky soho-esque downtown Olympia restaurant. This is the entrance. Sorry, no pix from the inside. I had a gimlet, and then a lemon drop, at the suggestion of the bartender Kim (?). A little sweet for my taste. Should have gone with the scotch after all.

No comments: