Friday, January 20, 2006

Thursday, November 24, 2005: Thanksgiving in Japan

Dcfc0013_10So, Carrie and I had Thanksgiving at her friend Talitha's house, where she used to live.  Talitha owns the crystal booth at the farmer's market, where Carrie works on occasion.  It had to be an early meal, because Carrie was scheduled to work at the Mark.  We picked up salad-supplies as promised, and a few videos.  I'd bought a couple bottles of wine Wednesday, too.  Here you see me pointing at the (offscreen) turkey, Talitha stirring the gravy (full of giblets!), and her son Dylan, looking sly.  At 15, Dylan is the drummer in a remarkably successful heavy metal band.



Dcfc0014_5And here's the turkey.  Which was excellent, very moist.  And I'm often disappointed by turkey.



Dcfc0019_4Talitha has a large house, and takes in lots of exchange students studying English at Evergreen.  Right now, two Japanese students are staying with her.  One quite young...



Dcfc0020_2...and the other a 27 year old economics graduate. Unfortunately, I can't recall either of their names.  They told us that (unsurprisingly) no one celebrates Thanksgiving in Japan.  But that Christmas is a very popular, if entirely secular holiday.  And they both cheerfully admitted to using plastic trees.  Now, I keep thinking about Japanese Christmas.  And wanting to attend one.



Dcfc0021_4Don't remember what Carrie was laughing at.  But it must have been good.  We had to leave about 4, because Carrie was scheduled to work. 



Dcfc0024_2Talitha said goodbye, Carrie went to work, and I went home.  And got to work on my home movies from China.  Found a few good cuts.  But my gut tells me I'll have to pull apart much of what I've done so far.  Still can't gin up an outline of the completed film in my head.  And that's a bad sign.

No comments: