Monday, January 02, 2006

Thursday, September 8, 2005: Seven of Cups, More or Less.

Img_0276_1



Ok, so, busy day today. I woke up late, after working till 4 on the movie last night. Good thing I'm only three blocks from the Temple of Justice (the very mention of which always reminds me of Charbel's quip, placing it next door to the Fortress of Solitude...). I cut out spot on at noon and rode my bike to the farmer's market by the port to have lunch with Carrie. She works one day a week there selling crystal jewelry for her erstwhile boss and landlord. Been doing it 4 years. And she's quite the huckster! The "dichroic glass" schtick seems to be quite the winner, and she cleared quite a sum during the hour (*koff* approximately) I visited. It's amazing what a bit of buttering-up the customer can accomplish. And to think, she isn't even on commission...



Img_0284_2



Finished up work at 5 (on the nose) and headed down to the Water Street Cafe ("priciest restaurant in town") for happy hour with my fellow clerks. Frankly, $5 for a mojito, and $2 for a pint strikes me as pretty reasonable. But then, I've got NYC hangover. And the entrees were $20+. Give me the Reef, anyday. So, here you've got (from left) Seth, Jim, Jessica, Kylie, and Hilary. All very nice and a lot of fun. As it happens, Jessica did her BA at Brown, and knows my good friend Ben Russell. I filled her in on his brilliance and good deeds, probably to excess.



Img_0289_3



I include another picture of my co-clerks just to illustrate the stupendous crumminess of my camera. You've gotta love a machine designed to produce an absolutely unknowable product. And I can't help but love the fact that the market can price such a machine so accurately. And reasonably.  $20, to be precise. Which is exactly what I paid for my camera. But, gentle reader, do not fear. Just today, I purchased an aesthetically similar equivalent that promises far superior performance. The "Polaroid I-Zone 300." Those familiar with my preferences will recall my enthusiasm for anything marked "I-Zone." I'm holding my breath... Really.



Img_0298_2



Then, I hopped on my bike and rode 5 blocks east to meet Jamie at the Dub Narcotic Studio. Wow! K-heaven, indeed. She showed me around, noting who was working on what, etc. It was really cool, and I felt like I was 17 or so again. Here you see all the guitars of a currently-recording band, the name of which I forget.



Img_0303



And here Jamie holds up the CD I made of her band (Old Tyme Relijun) and The Old Ladies. She was surprised and happy to see both on there...



Img_0310



And here Jamie holds up an example of her oeuvre, a handbag woven from plastic bags. I thought they were really great and bought one (present, shhh!). She said that she "knits" them as her band drives from city to city, and sells them in line with their merch at the subsequent show. I thought it was a little cheap at $20 (she said $15), but figured on making it up later.



Img_0314



First, we went to the Brotherhood, my first favorite bar in Olympia, because it reminded me most of Williamsburg. I was hoping Holly would be there, because she'd called earlier and said she was headed there, eventually, sooner or later... But no dice. No matter. After a moment of indecision Jamie got a whiskey sour, and I got a gimlet, in honor of Raymond Chandler. We sat outside for the first drink, then went inside for an encore. It gets cold in WA when the sun goes down...



Img_0316



Then it was off to the inevitable dinner at the Reef. I got grilled swiss, bacon & tomato. I almost feel obliged. Jamie: burger, mayo.



Img_0318



Then Jenny, who I'd met at the K Temple show, turned up (pictured here with Jamie). She was having dinner with her friends Neil & Shannon at the next table. And Neil had promised to do a tarot reading for her. I'd never seen one before, and was very interested. Despite my crippling cynicism about such things.



Img_0319



Here's Neil and Shannon.



Img_0324



And here's Neil finishing up the reading. I was really impressed by his relaxed, colloquial style. He seemed pretty new at it, but was really good at drawing out the story he needed to respond to.



Img_0322_1



Anyway. Kat was working all along, and kinda wondered how I knew all these people. Especially because she recognized Jamie from a spread in the Stranger. I gave Jamie the camera, and she documented the confusion.

No comments: