Monday, January 02, 2006

Tuesday, September 6, 2005: This Sporting Life

So, Carrie called as I was leaving the Temple of Justice today and asked whether I wanted to meet her after her soccer game. She was recruited to play for the purple Steamboat Physical Therapy team three weeks ago, while she was still working at Target. But she said it was ok if I came to watch as well. Which, of course I decided to do. Reminders of Berkeley, when I used to watch Sonia play for the varsity team at the field up the hill...

Img_0262

Spent a couple hours at home working on the X-Film programs for the Olympia Film Festival (early-Nov.) - Bridget drafted me just after I arrived, and agreed to leave her semi-retirement, too. As I left, I ran into Jim from the Temple of Justice, who clerks for Chief Justice Alexander. Alexander expects suit and tie, so this was Jim in “casual” mode. The dress code in Justice Sanders's chambers is a bit more relaxed...

Img_0263

Got a little lost looking for the field - but it was really just behind the Westside Mall and “Target Place.” A truly cringe-worthy name, that. Anyway, Carrie had just arrived herself, wearing teal socks, as promised, and a team t-shirt about 4 sizes too big. Apparently, they only come in one size.

Img_0266

The game started at 8pm, just as the sun went down, and the klieg lights came on. I always liked them, especially when walking by the softball fields in McCarren Park in the early evening. Carrie played really well, but unfortunately pulled a muscle in her thigh. Here, she's sitting out the game for a minute, hoping it'll get better. It didn't so we left at the half, and walked down Harrison, hoping a bus would show. Eventually, one did, and I used the ubiquitous bus-front bike carrier for the first time. Pretty well-designed and simple, actually. Just a rack and a bungee.

Tjhooper2

Incidentally, Bridget - the first visitor to my Olympia apartment - just sent these photos of my cat, The T.J. Hooper. Hooper was still getting used to the whole moving thing, and was a bit skittish. Not that she's ever all that sedate. For the non-legally inclined, she's named after a famous Learned Hand decision, in which he declared (rather unhelpfully, to my mind) that trade custom defines the standard of care. Except when it doesn't. Thanks!

No comments: