Friday, January 20, 2006

Sunday, November 27, 2005: Mystery Meat Morning

Dcfc0037_3Mom showed up at about noon, and we went for lunch to a very authentic-seeming Mexican place in Berkeley.  I had a bowl of menudo, a traditional Mexican tripe stew I've always wanted to try.  I'm quite a fan of tripe, which I first encountered in Campbell's Pepper Pot soup.  Unfortunately, cans of Pepper Pot are now hard to come by.  So I was quite pleased to discover them at the Safeway on 4th Ave. in Olympia.  Anyway, on the way out, Mom spotted the Mundells.  Here's Ellen Mundell, with her little grandkid.



Dcfc0047_1And here's Mike.  Leah and her husband were also there, but I didn't get a decent picture.



Dcfc0048_1However, they kindly took a snapshot of us.  I was still pretty tired, as I'd stayed up late "working" the night before.  Hence the extra coffee.



Dcfc0055_1My mother dropped me off at the airport, saving me the BART trip and shuttle.  Thanks, Ma!  I had a 6:30 flight, but volunteered to get bumped, in exchange for a roundtrip ticket.  For a bit it seemed I'd have to spend the night in Oakland.  But luckily a seat came available on the 9pm flight.  And it was in first class.  Not bad, even if it amounts to little more than real glasses, free drinks, and... warmed nuts, instead of in a bag.  Whatever.  Anyway, I got into SeaTac pretty late, and had to wait around for the last shuttle back to Olympia.  Which took just about forever.  Here you see the far end of the terminal, where the shuttle buses do their pickups.



Dcfc0057I took this picture of myself while waiting.  The shuttle eventually turned up.  Unfortunately, the trip was just interminable, dropping people off to all ends of nowhere.  And it surely didn't help that neither the driver nor his erstwhile assistant had any clue where they were headed.



Dcfc0050_2I have no idea what this is a picture of or where I might have taken it.  But it certainly looks interesting.

No comments: