Friday, January 20, 2006

Monday, November 28, 2005: Right Through the Looking Glass

Dcfc0060After I finished work, Carrie and I met Rob and Ryan at Last Word Books, and we all went to Indian food in Lacey.  Carrie had her trademark "peas & cheese" again.  I had something with okra.  For some reason I can never pass up okra when I see it on a menu.  Nothing to do with the taste - I like it ok, but it's not a particular favorite.  I think its more the unusual shape of the vegetable.  And the peculiarity of its name.  Anyway, after dinner, we swung by our respective homes to pick up coats, and walked down to the Brotherhood for a drink.  Here you see Rob (on the left) and his friend Ryan, a professional glassblower who just got back from Fairbanks, Alaska.  I peppered him with questions about the town and what it's like to live there.  He was very forthcoming.  Interesting guy, told me about making a series of glass hammers for a UAF art student.  Apparently, he's off to Murano next, to study with the old-school masters of the art.



Dcfc0064_1Carrie and Ryan kept up their own conversation on the other side of the table.  Somewhat later, Jacob Sunday dropped in to say hello.  We filled in Ryan on interesting events of a few nights previous, in which Jacob acted the Sir Galahad to a sorely overinebriated young lady, spooking a creepy lecher intent on seeing her home.  Turned out Ryan was familiar with the creep in question, and heartily approved of Jacob's intervention.



Dcfc0069_1On the way out, I found myself compelled to document a lovely readymade in the bathroom.  I know, it's a bit uncouth to be snapping pictures in the john.  But I was all alone in there.  I swear it.

No comments: