Friday, January 20, 2006

Monday, November 14, 2005: Facing the Law

Dcfc0006_8Monday morning, and back to work at the Temple of Justice.  During a coffee break I took a few snapshots.  Here you see the lobby, lined with marble just like the rest of the building.  Built between 1912 and 1920, the building borrows the neo-classical style that dominates DC.  Some people find it a little overblown.  But I'm always impressed.  Better pretentious than tacky, I say.



Dcfc0004_14And here's the main entrance to the State Law Library.   It's a remarkably good library, and open to the public.  A fine collection of Washington & federal materials, of course.  But it's the breath of the secondary sources that impressed me most.  The NYU Law Library (not to mention Bobst, the NYPL, and the NY Historical Society, ... &c.) spoiled me.  Still, it was a pleasant surprise to find so many classic treatises and studies.  I guess its claim to being "one of the largest legal collections in the Far West" isn't just an idle boast...



Dcfc0023_7Later that night, Carrie caught me clowning around.  Mimicing the doctors from the "Eye of the Beholder" Twilight Zone episode.  "Some people want to live no matter what!"

No comments: