Friday, January 20, 2006

You Have to Be Very Careful...

Future_me The 21st Century version of the time capsule is personal, automatic, and doesn't require a shovel.  "Deposit" a message at FutureMe, and they'll send it to you on the day you specify, up to 30 years in the future.  The 30 year limit is a bit of a mystery, as a "virtual time capsule" robust enough to last that long is likely to make it even longer.  Still, it tempers their otherwise boundless optimism with a note of humility.  Which I rather like.  Anyway, I found writing a message more difficult than I'd expected.  The possibility of actually seeing it again - however slim - lends uncomfortable gravity to an otherwise pleasant diversion.  Which I take to be part of the premise.  You can also browse (anonymized) notes from others, which present varying degrees of vulgarity ("I hope you do not wear sweat suits like your mom and let your hair look all shitty."); banality ("I used to think I knew myself."); and inscrutability ("don't eat any bananas on the 4th of october.").  Most are quite dull, but the dross is leavened with a few gems.  And a touch of ingenuity.  Nothing says you can't use the system for reminders of imminent responsibilities.  And, as my brother can attest, FutureBrian can certainly use a reminder of birthdays, &c.  Link via GeekPress.

No comments: