Friday, January 20, 2006

Saturday, November 12, 2005: Ten Pin Travesty

Dcfc0001_17Unsurprisingly, we were a little burned-out on movies.  So we decided, spur of the moment, to go bowling at Westside Lanes.  I was optimistic.  As I usually am before I start bowling. 



Dcfc0002_6Unfortunately, my optimism was without foundation.  After losing the first game by an unconscionably large margin (less than half of Carrie's slightly over 100), I asked for best 2 of 3.  To no avail.  Subsequent games were less staggering defeats.  But they were all defeats.  Here you see me preparing for my finest throw (roll?).



Dcfc0004_13Strike!  And my only one, too.



Dcfc0005_7Of course, Carrie then proceeded to follow it with one of her own.  As she put it, she "wasn't employed by the greater Detroit Bowling Association for nothing."  And she seemed a little disappointed with her performance, too.  Ouch.



Dcfc0010_7Earlier in the evening, Moira called to invite us to her going-away party.  She's headed to Portland, after finding some film work there.  After bowling, we stopped in for beer and brats.



Dcfc0008_9Moira's friends Stephanie & Justin were there, among many others.  Unfortunately, it was a brief visit, as Carrie had to work, and Moira lives too far from downtown for me to walk.  At least in the rain.  Even though it was only sprinkling.  It was good and dark when we left, owing to the minimal streetlights in the area.  And as we drove off, there was a big pop.  And then the thwack, thwack...



Dcfc0016_3...of a flat tire.  My first!  On my own car, at least.  Looked like a nail, but it was hard to tell.  Carrie was a little worried about making it to work on time.  Luckily, everything we needed to make the change was in the trunk.  Except the jack.



Dcfc0014_4Luckily, Moira's friend Jason had one in his car.  And he was very enthusiastic about helping.  In fact, he pretty well changed the tire himself.  Thanks, Jason.  Carrie got to work on time.  And I got home, and to work, myself.





ADDENDUM: You may have noticed the new, improved formatting of this post.  The fixit is courtesy the exceptionally generous and talented Sam Miller, who designed the 40 Frames website, among others.  Thanks!

No comments: